Thursday 7 July 2011

92 games in 9 months?

My work are currently running a competition called 'Dream Catchers'. The idea being that members of staff submit their life long dream as something they'd like to do and the company will look at the entries and decide which one they'd like to follow and support.

Since I was 8 years old, I've wanted to see a game at all 92 football league grounds. But as the years have passed and my fascination with stadiums has grown, my dream has developed. I still want to see a game at all 92 football grounds and am currently well on my way to doing so, but, the dream has become more of a challenge. I now want to see a game at all of the 92 in one season... 92 games, 92 grounds, 9 long, energy sapping, hair greying but ultimately unquestionably enjoyable months. Is it possible? The short answer is, yes.. But it's an average of just under 3 games a week. Is that possible? Again, the short answer is, yes...

However, it would be a logistical nightmare. Getting to the games is tough enough but working things out to the point where the one single game on a cold tuesday night in December is at a ground you haven't already seen a game out is where the real problem lies. The planning ahead is very important but you need a huge slice of luck, a following wind, no postponements and every traffic accident to be on a road you just happen to have turned off already...

If you can get past the numerous issues that could arise at any moment, you're in for a bumpy but exilerating ride. The nervous tingle that switches to butterflies in your stomach and then finally into an awe inspiring moment everytime I walk into a new football stadium has never disappeared. It's as strong now at 27 as it was when my dad first led me up the steps into the East stand at Southend United's Roots Hall back in 1992. England v Brazil at Wembley Stadium later that year just kept my love for the game and the stadia growing at an alarming rate. When we arrived at the twin towers there was only 5 minutes until kick off. That meant that the stadium was already full with 80,000 fans creating an unmistakable hum that can reach your ears from miles around but make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck if you're on your way in to join them. I'll never forget the short walk up the stairs from the concourse, into a wall of noise, sights and colours. As the stadium came into view over the tops of the stairs, I knew that I wanted to experience that feeling again and again and again.

I still do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment